Emergency Fire Tips for Homeowners and Business Owners
SERVPRO® of Lawrence will work neatly and efficiently to help you regain control of your property when a damaging event has taken over.
The first 48 hours after fire damage can make the difference between restoring versus replacing your property and personal belongings. SERVPRO® of Lawrence can help prevent fire damage from creating long-term problems. We provide timely response with mitigation services ranging from fire, smoke and soot removal to contents claims inventory and document restoration. These services help ensure your property, belongings and memories are restored to preloss condition when possible.
- Limit movement to prevent further damage
- Place clean towels or old linens on carpeted traffic areas to prevent more soiling
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open
- Clean and protect chrome on kitchen and bathroom faucets and appliances with light coating of petroleum jelly
- Don’t attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces without first contacting SERVPRO®
- Don’t attempt to shampoo carpet or upholstered furniture without first consulting SERVPRO®
- Don’t attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire or water damage without consulting a repair service.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpet
- Do not send clothing to a dry cleaner since improper cleaning may set smoke odor.
So before you risk doing further damage by attempting to clean up the damage yourself, call the fire damage cleanup and restoration professionals at (978) 688-2242. SERVPRO® of Lawrence has worked for over 40 years to help make fire damage “Like it never even happened.”
Extreme Heat Warnings!
For more information, visit weather.gov/heat
As summer approaches, it is time to consider safety precautions for extreme heat in the coming months. Heat affects all people, but especially the young, elderly, sick, and overweight. Urban area residents also have a greater chance of being affected than those who live in rural areas due to the heat island effect.
According to the EPA, “the sun can heat dry, exposed urban surfaces, such as roofs and pavement, to temperatures 50-90 degrees hotter than the air, while shaded and moist surfaces – often in more rural surroundings – remain close to air temperatures.” These surface heat islands are strongest during the day when the sun is shining, while the atmospheric heat islands are more likely after sunset “due to the slo release of heat from urban infrastructure.”
Whether you are in an urban or rural area, there are several things you can do to prepare for and prevent extreme hear from affecting you.
- If possible, stay indoors in air conditioning.
- Be sure to check on your pets who may be outdoors or bring them inside
- Stay hydrated and limit alcohol and caffeine intake.
- If you must go outside, wear loose-fitting, light-colored clothing
- Be sure to apply sunscreen often
Pay attention to signs of heat exhaustion, which according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) are:
- Heavy sweating
- Cold, pale, and clammy skin
- Nausea or vomiting
Heat exhaustion can lead to heat stroke, which is life-threatening.
Extreme heat is a serious danger. For more information on preparation and prevention, visit ready.gov or cdc.gov.
What You Can Do to Help Prevent Damage During a Hurricane!
The Atlantic Hurricane season runs from June 1st to November 30th. Make sure you are prepared should one be near you!
June is the start of Hurricane Season. Hurricane's are defined as an intense tropical weather system of strong thunderstorms with a well-defined surface circulation and maximum sustained winds of 74 MPH or higher. You can see a storm coming by the change in color of the sky (often greenish), large hail, low-flying clouds and a roar like a freight train.
Below are some helpful hints to follow whether you own a home, RV, boat, car or all of them!
- It is best to have a plan in place regarding where you are going to go when a hurricane hits. While they may be intriguing to watch, the best place is NOT outside. Your basement or under a set of stairs are great places to wait out the storm. If this is not available, the bottom floor of any building will work.
- Keep your car indoors if possible. Tape up the windows and door with tarps and keep away from any objects that could damage the car if they were to fall on top of it.
- During an emergency, gas stations will often be closed, so always make sure you have at least half a tank of gas to get away instantly
- Have enough supplies on hand to wait out 72 hours, just in case help cannot arrive right away. These supplies can also be stored in the trunk (items like a first aid kit, bottled water, non-perishable foods, and medication can stay there at all times.)
- Make sure your car is in proper shape. Have a full tank of gas, wiper blades and tires are ready to go.
- Make sure your cell phone is charged and keep your charger with you.
- Avoid driving in deep waters
- For your boat, remove non-secure items, electronics, excess gear, valuable, and important documents.
- Make sure all openings are clear of debris
- Double all lines that are securing your boat to its securing space
- With your RV, do not drive it during the storm as it is more vulnerable to higher/stronger winds
- Make sure you have a full tank of gas, but empty holding tanks, turn off propane cylinders and cover the regulator.
- Make sure all documents are in a waterproof bag and with you at all times
Life can be unpredictable, but having plans in place help you with whatever may come. For more information, please check out these hurricane tips. As always, once the storm passes, contact your SERVPRO of Lawrence at 978-688-2242 to help make it “Like it never even happened.”
SERVPRO Celebrates Small Business Week
From April 30 to May 6, 2017, America will celebrate Small Business Week
, an annual event sponsored by the U.S. Small Business Association (SBA). According to Gregg White, owner of SERVPRO of Lawrence, Small Business Week is an opportunity for national and community leaders to recognize the critical contributions of America’s entrepreneurs and small business owners to the country’s economy. According to statistics
from the SBA, 28 million small businesses in America account for 54 percent of all U.S. sales; of those 28 million businesses, the 600,000 U.S. franchised small businesses, like SERVPRO, account for 40 percent of all retail sales and provide jobs for some eight million people. As these local business people work to grow their businesses, they help create 21st century jobs, drive innovation, and increase America’s global competitiveness.
For entrepreneurs like White, becoming a franchise owner is one path to small business ownership. “Entrepreneurship is at the heart of a successful small business—the drive to own and
grow a business through your own efforts,” said Sue Steen, SERVPRO Industries, Inc., chief executive officer. “Franchise organizations like SERVPRO give entrepreneurs a framework for their ambitions, access to state-of-the-art tools and processes, and a road map for sound financial management and growth.”
Some franchised small businesses offer entrepreneurs an opportunity to own and run their own small business while providing a service to the community they live and work in. With SERVPRO, for example, franchise ownership helps entrepreneurs combine their hometown knowledge and the emotional investment they have with their community with access to the latest disaster remediation technology and products. This combination creates a community asset that could prove invaluable to home and business owners who are struck by the unexpected. "I’m proud to be a small business owner in my community,” says White. “But, as a SERVPRO small business owner, I know that the unexpected can happen – a flood, a fire, an explosion, a storm, a mudslide, whatever the event might be – big or small. When the unexpected does happen, I’m also proud to know that my staff and I are ready to respond immediately and effectively to limit the damage to property and disruption to lives in my community. Having both an emotional and financial stake in the community is what distinguishes small businesses with local owners from other businesses. And that’s what makes small businesses such an important thread in the fabric of this country.”
SERVPRO of Lawrence specializes in disaster restoration, cleanup and repair services,
helping to remediate damage, making it “Like it never even happened,” for both commercial and
978-688-2242 or office@SERVPROoflawrence.com.
Our Standard Process for Mold Near Methuen, MA
Believe it or not, mold problems like this can be mitigated with the right expertise and equipment.
This Methuen family discovered extensive microbial growth in their home, thanks to a leaking pipe that went undetected for months. Believe it or not, mold problems like this can be mitigated with the right expertise and equipment. SERVPRO of Lawrence has trained technicians that were able to test and remove the mold growth, and then restore the space to preloss conditions. The family was very grateful that we were able to recover their home and protect them from any potential health effects.
The Mold Remediation Process
Every mold infestation is different, from the extent and type of growth, to the variety of materials affected. Each scenario requires a unique solution, but the general process stays the same. When you discover mold, call us at 978-688-2242 and we will go through our standard mold remediation process:
- Inspection and Mold Damage Assessment
- Mold Containment
- Air Filtration
- Removing Mold and Mold-Infested Materials
- Cleaning Contents and Belongings
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 978-688-2242
SERVPRO of Lawrence and Preparing Your Small Business
SERVPRO of Lawrence has the technology to have your disaster recovery plan right in the palm of your hand!
When it comes to your business, it is your pride and joy. You pray that a disaster never strikes, ruining all of your hard work.
“Small business owners invest a tremendous amount of time, money and resources to make their ventures successful, yet, many owners fail to properly plan and prepare for disaster situations. According to the Institute for Business and Home Safety, an estimated 25 percent of businesses do not reopen following a major disaster.”1
Creating a business plan for disaster will help protect employees, shorten the amount of time you may have to be out of work, and possibly lessen the financial impact it will have on you.
- Identify critical business systems – how long can they be down and what is needed to keep everything functioning.
- Create an emergency communication plan with all those who have a stake in your business.
- Enroll in the Red Cross Ready Rating Program
- Build a supply kit that will keep your business and employees safe should you be at work when disaster strikes
- Work with SERVPRO of Lawrence to build an Emergency Ready Profile. This will provide the information for all emergency personnel that need to be contacted when disaster strikes and when our Team arrives on site, it gives the knowledge of your building before we even step in the door. This provides efficient and faster service for you!
For more information on how to help prepare your business for disaster, please contact us at 978-688-2242 or SERVPRO of Lawrence.
Containment During a Mold Remediation: How Important is It?
Where is the most strategic location of this containment? It should be placed as close to the source of invasion as possible.
This information was taken from Restoration and Remediation, an online magazine. It is beneficial to share information with you regarding mold and why we use containment in the remediation process.
"The great mold warriors we meet and work with on a daily basis all have a common advantage- like the greatest generals in history, they know their enemy. More specifically these mold warriors know and understand that the greatest strength of their enemy is its invisibility.
Begin your battle by heeding the current Nobel Laureate for literature: "The answer my friend, is blowing in the wind, the answer is blowing in the wind." [Of course that was an anti-war song…but let's not get too hung up in details…]
Since we know our enemy, we know it's greatest weakness - it cannot move on its own accord. It is entirely dependent on air currents to power its invasion. Manage the skies, and you will win the war.
Erecting containment and generating and directing the air flow within that containment will enable us to win the air war, by controlling the enemy's movement.
Where is the most strategic location of this containment? It should be placed as close to the source of invasion as possible while still permitting us to gain access and accomplish our work.
One of the most common flaws in mold remediation projects is a containment structure that is larger than it needs to be: Larger containments require more equipment for managing airflow, have more possible leak points, and require more time and effort to decontaminate prior to de-mobilisation. While erecting a containment, one must carefully balance the trade-offs between size and work access.
To do so, one can rely on the knowledge of experienced mold warriors and follow the established principles."
SERVPRO of Lawrence can be your warrior when it comes to mold. To learn more, please visit our website or call us at (978) 688-2242. We will help guide you through this process.
Surprise Snow Storms Tips for Your Methuen Home!
When it comes to life’s emergencies, it isn't a matter of if they will occur, it's a matter of when they will occur.
The potential for surprise snow storms as Spring approaches can be very real. They can also be beautiful to see as the snow sticks to trees. But they can be dangerous to your home and office. In order to stay safe, SERVPRO of Lawrence wants you to please follow these and other safety tips for your home.
- Before the Storm
- Have an emergency supply kit on hand
- Develop a communication plan with all members of your family
- After the Storm
- If wires come down due to the weight of the snow, do not touch them
- Do not drive on roads that haven't been cleared
Keep you and your family safe through a storm. When in doubt, stay away from anything that may look suspicious or anything that may be break due to the weight of the snow.
If the snow starts melting and it comes into your home, SERVPRO of Lawrence is here to help! We can remove any affected materials and dry out the structure. For more information, please visit our website or call (978) 688-2242
It's Red Cross Month!
SERVPRO® began a partnership with the American Red Cross in 2013, and became an official Disaster Responder partner in 2016.
March is Red Cross Month!
Founded in 1881, the American Red Cross is a charitable organization that relies on donations and volunteers from across the country to carry out their mission. Whether it is disaster relief, blood donations, military family support, or training and certification in CPR, life-guarding, first aid and more, the Red Cross is committed to helping those who need it most. The American Red Cross is part of the Global Red Cross Network, the world's largest volunteer network found in 187 countries, according to The Red Cross.
Every year, March is declared Red Cross Month by the President of the United States. The American Red Cross celebrates this designation by honoring the "everyday heroes" who support and carry out the mission of the Red Cross by donating, giving blood, taking a class or volunteering.
SERVPRO® began a partnership with the American Red Cross in 2013, and became an official Disaster Responder partner in 2016. The Disaster Responder program provides families and individuals immediate support, comfort and assistance when a disaster strikes. Disaster Responders also help communities prepare for disasters ahead of time by participating in preparedness activities such as the Smoke Alarm Installation Campaign.
To learn more about the American Red Cross, or about how you can get involved, visit their website or SERVPRO of Lawrence's website to see how they can help you.
When the Ice Dams Hit Your Home, SERVPRO of Lawrence is Here to Help!
SERVPRO of Lawrence has the specific water damage training and experience to help you through this tough time.
SERVPRO of Lawrence is available 24 hours a day for water emergencies, large or small. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
We Answer the Phone Ready to Help
Call Today - 978-688-2242
We understand that when you call us, you may be feeling confused, stressed, and vulnerable. You need an expert to guide you through this crisis. SERVPRO of Lawrence has the specific water damage training and experience to help you through this tough time. We specialize in water damage restoration—in fact, it's the cornerstone of our business.
What to Expect
When you call, we will ask several questions regarding your water damage emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO Professionals may be needed.
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask several questions:
- Your name and contact information
- Your insurance information (if applicable)
- The street address of the water-damaged home or business
- When did the flooding or water damage occur?
- What caused the water damage (if known)?
- Is there electricity available (on-site)?
About SERVPRO of Lawrence
SERVPRO of Lawrence specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Meet our crew http://www.SERVPROlawrence.com/employee-photos