Do's and Don'ts When Water Floods your Home or Business
Water is a vital element to our survival. We drink it, need it to shower and, to water our plants. We use it to wash clothes, clean bathtubs, and flush waste down the toilet. Just like when the power goes out, if we don’t have access to water, we are lost.
There as so many ways water can damage your home or business. A washing machine might overflow, a water heater might break, or a leaky pipe from the bathtub that has been slowly dripping for years has finally sent water gushing through two floors in your home. Now what?
Below are a few clean water do’s and don’ts to help put you at ease and limit the amount of damage. Do:
- Shut off water at the source if possible. If not, contact a qualified party as soon as possible.
- Turn off circuit breakers for wet areas only when access to the power source is safe from electrical shock.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removing lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop up wet upholstery cushions for even drying.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Remove to a safe, dry place, any paintings, art objects, computers, documents, and other materials that are valuable or sensitive to moisture.
- Hang draperies with coated hangers to avoid contact with wet carpeting or floors.
- Enter rooms with standing water where electrical shock hazards my exist.
- Enter affected areas if electrical outlets, switches, circuit breakers or electrical equipment are exposed to water.
- Leave books, newspapers, magazines, or other colored items on wet carpets to cause staining.
- Leave oriental rugs or other colored rugs on wet wall-to-wall carpets to cause staining.
- Use your household vacuum cleaner to remove water, possibly causing electrical shock or damage to the vacuum cleaner.
- Use TVs or other appliances while standing on wet carpets or floors, especially not on wet concrete floors.
- Turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet or enter rooms where ceilings are sagging from retained water.
If your Dracut business or home suffers a water damage, we at SERVPRO® of Lawrence are available 24/7 for emergency services. Call us at 978-688-2242 to schedule your no obligation quote today.