Summer Safety Fun
Fires are still a concern even after all this constant rain!!
SERVPRO of Lawrence always puts safety as our #1 priority, whether it's on the job site or in our backyards. Every year Americans look forward to summer vacations, camping, family reunions, picnics, and the Fourth of July. Summertime, however, also brings fires and injuries due to fireworks and outdoor grills. Annually more than 8,000 Americans are injured by fireworks and grill fires. More than half these injuries occur during the first week of July. USFA's National Fire Data Center estimates that yearly outside cooking grills cause more than 6,000 fires, over 5 fatalities, more than 170 injuries, and $35 million in property loss.
Here are some Safety Fire Tips from SERVPRO of Lawrence:
• Build campfires where they will not spread, away from dry grass and leaves.
• Keep campfires small, and don't let them get out of hand.
• Keep plenty of water and a shovel around to douse the fire when you're done. Stir it and douse it again with water.
• Never leave campfires unattended.
• Before using a grill, check the connection between the propane tank and the fuel line. Make sure the tubes - where the air and gas mix - are not blocked.
• Do not overfill the propane tank.
• Do not wear loose clothing while cooking at a barbecue.
Remember to call SERVPRO of Lawrence at 978.688.2242 if you ever experience fire or smoke damage to your home or office building.