Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
When you experience a fire in your home or business, the stress and what to do next can be overwhelming. The first 48 hours can make the difference between restoring versus replacing your home, business, or personal items. While your primary focus is the safety of your employees or family, we want you to know that we are Here to Help! SERVPRO of Lawrence has the approved training and resources to start restoring your home or business to before the disaster happened. Using our techniques and the utmost professionalism in our Lawrence, Methuen, or Dracut community, we will help you keep costs down and return to normal faster!
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (978) 688-2242
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.